Monday, October 6, 2008

Lucas is at it again. Get ready.


I have been compiling a list of some of the slightly older and more recent news about George Lucas and the the Indy business. After the disaster that was the last film (I still like it for what it was, but it IN NO WAY compares to the other films), I knew they would be making more when it made a bumload of money. Here is some info that has developed over the past couple months.

First, back in June after the film was released was quoted saying in the New York Times about Indiana Jones 4,

“I mean, why do we have to make another Indiana Jones? There was no point to it, other than, gee, this might be fun.”

Basically admitting that the film was pointless to make was a HUGE mistake on Lucas' part and let the fans know that maybe his dedication wasn't all that huge. (And maybe his sausage fingers just wanted more money).

Then, about a month later, Lucas was talking again, this time to the Times Online. He said a few more shoddy comments about Indy 4 and the possibilities of an Indy 5.

“If I can come up with another idea that they like, we’ll do another. Really, with the last one, Steven wasn’t that enthusiastic. I was trying to persuade him. But now Steve is more amenable to doing another one. Yet we still have the issues about the direction we’d like to take. I’m in the future; Steven’s in the past. He’s trying to drag it back to the way they were, I’m trying to push it to a whole different place. So, still we have a sort of tension. This recent one came out of that. It’s kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we’ll see where we are able to take the next one.”

“Indiana Jones only becomes complicated when you have another two people saying ‘I want it this way’ and ‘I want it that way’, whereas, when I first did Jones, I just said, ‘We’ll do it this way’ — and that was much easier. But now I have to accommodate everybody, because they are all big, successful guys, too, so it’s a little hard on a practical level.”


Seriously, what is this dudes problem? The movie made a shitload of money, and he is still talking about how he and Spielberg didn't get along. I mean sure, the movie wasn't that great, but it worked (at least in his money hungry eyes) so why talk down the film and then blame it on someone else?

And now, Harrison Ford is speaking up about the possible Indy 5 and offering his points of view (which make sense, but in my opinion seem kinda like he's been smoking too much weed and dropping LSD with hippies).

Harrison Ford said Friday that momentum is building for a fifth movie in the "Indiana Jones" franchise and that George Lucas is already cooking up a suitable plot for a heroic senior citizen with a penchant for whips and fedoras.

"It's crazy but great," the 66-year-old Ford said. "George is in think mode right now."

"It's automatic, really, we did well with the last one and with that having done well and been a positive experience, it's not surprising that some people want to do it again," Ford said.

When asked if this was more of a Lucas of Spielbergian idea to bring the franchise back one more time, he gave this crazy response,

"Really, it comes from the ethos, from the ether. It's natural. It's a way of nature, of course, success breed opportunities ... also we don't stay as closely in contact as have in the last year, that's part of it."


I give up. And I fear for the worst. I get the feeling Spielberg will get sick of dealing with Lucas' terrible ideas and hand off the project - then Lucas will poop on it - then Ford will go along for the ride because he doesn't want to see the character go to anyone else. What will we be left with? Another Lucas "masterpiece". I guess all we can really hope for is that it isn't done in that animated Clone Wars style. Woof.

Thoughts?

[Edit]
Derek 8-Track here,
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was NOT a disaster.
It ruled... minus the extremely lame CGI.
Posted by SX0T at 7:47 PM |  

1 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
 
>