Saturday, June 28, 2008

Derek 8-Tracks WALL·E Review


I just got back from WALL·E and I have to say the most surprising thing about the movie was that I went to a 1:10pm showing where 3/4ths of the theater was made up of children 10 years old and younger and not one of them disrupted the film. It was quite surprising considering I can't go to a fan-boy film without some idiot in the crowd feeling as if they have to bestow every bit of their unending knowledge of that comic book character on the entire viewing audience. "That's not how it is in the comic!" It's amazing how well mannered these toddlers are compared to a fan-boy audience. With that being said here is my review of the actual movie and not the theater experience.

The Rockin'

As a movie almost completely void of dialogue, WALL·E has to rely on Chaplin and Keaton (Buster not Michael) like humor and stunning visuals to keep the viewer interested. The movie opens beautifully, in an almost operatic way, following the curious WALL·E as he cleans the trash on Earth the humans have left behind. While cleaning, he collects objects of the human world that are of interest of him. Much like Ariel does in The Little Mermaid (look for Flounder in his collection). The visuals are as crisp and amazing as ever. It is interesting that live action is used to portray the "healthy" humans of the past and 3D animation is used to depict the fat obese humans of the movies present time period.

Al Gore, Leonardo DiCaprio, and WALL·E lead the charge in today's attempt to create a better world for the future. Where happy feet failed, WALL·E succeeds in teaching children lessons of why it is important to love and care for the environment. Basically, the movie is an important cautionary tale about the negative effects on the environment if we don't take any moral responsibility... and on why we shouldn't let ourselves become obese. I can't wait to hear the fats complain about this as they did with Fat Bastard in the Austen Powers movies. These cautionary tales are told all while revolving around a well told love story between two curious robots. Like most robot movies these robots are unique compared to the others of their same models. It is their curiosity that makes them unique and it is their curiosity that keeps the viewer curious as to what is going to happen next.

The Not So Rockin'

Nothing...

Just kidding, but the only negative thing I have to say about this movie is very mild. Even with all of the wonder and magic it provides, due to the lack of dialogue, I'm not sure if this is a movie that will have a high watchability rate after you see it the first time. I may only see this movie 5 more times and not need to see it again. Its a great movie to show people, I just can't see myself slapping it in the ol' DVD player very often like I can with other Disney Pixar classics like Toy Story and Finding Nemo. But only the future, when I own it on DVD (or maybe blu-ray if I get a player), really holds the answer to whether or not it has a high watchability rate. so yeah, I was right with my first statement. Nothing.

The Overall

The only negative thing I have heard about this movie from others is "the lack of dialogue may cause children to get restless." In my experience this was not the case, the children were all very well behaved. I have to credit the seamless translation of WALL·E's curiosity over to the viewer as to why the children invest themselves completely into the movie. WALL·E is captivating to the eyes and heart and I totally suggest this movie.
With 9 feature films under their belt, I can't wait to see what number 10 brings us.

There is no end to the wonder that is Disney·Pixar.
Posted by Derek Clem at 4:27 PM |  

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
 
>