Sunday, June 29, 2008

SX0T's WALL·E Review


Well, here it is, my WALL·E review right after Derek 8-Track's. My opinions aren't much different than his, but here is what I have to offer. In general, I was stunned, but also have a few reserves.

The Awesome

This film is visually stunning. The entire length of the film I was captivated by how polished and gorgeous everything looked. The robots, the earth, the space ships, the garbage - EVERYTHING was down to the detail perfect. Throughout the journey of this film we really begin to fall in love with the love story between WALL·E and EVE. It seems odd at first, but by the end we really cheer for WALL·E in his somewhat desperate attempts. The slapstick and visual humor was great (and it had to be for a film that is about 90% dialogue free). I also really enjoy the fact that this movie had a great message but didn't seem overly preachy. Makes everything seem a bit more bearable. The music was also great. It was used in all the right places, and completely absent in others.

The Not So Awesome

As Derek said, not much here. I was a bit caught off guard by the live action elements that were thrown in there, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing and at least they made a visual attempt to explain it. I also feel that the very beginning of the movie dragged just a little bit. Once again, not really a big complaint because it picked up nicely - just an observation. I also agree with what Derek said about the re-watchability of this film. Only time will tell, but I feel like I would find myself watching other Pixar films a bit more than this one. This film had a very "Fantasia" feel to me for some reason (once again, not a bad thing).

Overall

Overall, a great summer film and another great addition to the Pixar library. It wasn't my favorite Pixar film, but it is near the top - they just keep getting better! I would be kind of surprised if this film didn't receive some sort of nomination come Oscar time (it surely will in the animation department, but can it make it into Best Picture running? - I personally think Rattatoulie would have had a better chance at that - but it certainly has a shot). Overall I would give this film a 9 out of 10.

Be sure to check out Derek 8-Track's review for more info that I agree with.
Posted by SX0T at 12:10 AM |  

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
 
>