Monday, June 16, 2008

Gonzo (Hunter S. Thompson) Documentary


When I was at the local theater to see The Happening over the weekend, I saw a poster that caught my eye. This theater shows lots of big films but also some of the smaller release films (currently Mongol, The Fall, Mister Lonely). I saw a poster for a new documentary coming out called Gonzo: The Life and Works of Hunter S. Thompson. I really enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance in Fear and Loathing and really have an interest in the Gonzo style and how the mind of the great Hunter S. Thompson worked (hopefully the film will also feature some info on Ralph Steadman). I did a bit of research on this film I knew nothing about and found some great info.

This new documentary from the Oscar-winning director of Taxi to the Dark Side takes a look at the life and times of Hunter S. Thompson. Johnny Depp, who portrayed Thompson in the 1998 film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas narrates the story which aims to show how Thompson's unconventional lifestyle and worldview led to the invention of gonzo journalism. The film addresses the major touchstones in Thompson's life — his intense and ill-fated relationship with the Hell's Angels, his near-successful bid for the office of sheriff in Aspen in 1970, the notorious story behind the landmark Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, his deep involvement in Senator George McGovern’s 1972 presidential campaign, and much more.

When you hear the real Hunter talk in the trailer, you really realize how fantastic of a job Johnny Depp did in portraying him.
It sounds extremely interesting and the trailer looks quite exciting. I think I may have to hit this one up.

Posted by SX0T at 4:31 PM |  

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
 
>